Thursday 11 June 2015

#001: Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) Part 0

FatePlaysGames #001 Xenoblade Chronicles Part 0 - Preparations

Summary: Nearly ready to go! Specific guidelines about what I'd like to see/have in rot13 and general operational odds and ends follows.

As my first Let's Play, I anticipate a great deal of experimentation to find what works best for me (and you), and just learning as I go/from your feedback.

This LP will be a Hybrid LP. This means I will primarily use screenshots of the game and text to convey my thoughts, but I will also occasionally embed clean (game audio only) scenes from the game if I feel it is appropriate.

I will attempt to go from save point to save point or play in 30/60 minute stints and see how well that translates to post length and adjust as necessary. Posts will come at least once a week, probably more, until I find the right balance.

While I don't need to say all the normal rules of Mark Reads/Watches/Spoils apply, I do want to mention a couple of things I would prefer:


  • Things I miss - Chests, scenes, even characters, all of it should be behind rot13 for the time being. You can make a note of what kind of thing I've missed (except something big like characters of course), and also if I've permanently missed it (in which case I'm more likely to read the rot13 there and then and not at the end of the LP).
  • Correcting mistakes/misinterpretations - Please avoid doing this in plaintext. Even if the information has already come up before, leave me to my erroneous theorising/analysis. This also ties into the next point.
  • Rhetorical questions - I may (often) express confusion and ask questions, but most of this will be rhetorical. I will try to make it clear when I am actually asking questions I want answered.

Please feel free to submit non-spoilery fan-art, music, gifs and the like!

If you haven't played it before and just want to join along in the comments jump right in! Just remember if you want to suggest your own pet theories please start your post with "Theories Abound".

Lastly, here's what I (think I) know about Xenoblade Chronicles prior to starting the game:


  • It's kinda somewhat distantly related to Xenogears and Xenosaga... maybe? If it is it will probably be irrelevant anyway as the only one of those I have played is a dozen or so hours on Xenosaga Episode II or III on rental ten years back.
  • The main character (Shrike? Shriek... Shikr? Shulk) is in the new Smash Bros. game and has a sword with a large circular hole near the cross-guard. Haven't played SSB itself though.
  • A lot of people really like it. It's one of the main reasons I've been uncomfortably biding my time until I caved in recently and got it and a Wii second-hand.
  • There was a re-release out recently for the New 3DS that I believe is only a graphical downscale to get it on that system.
  • The dub was done in the UK, and features British actors and accents.


Xenoblade Chronicles Main Menu, uploaded by Helsionium (spoilers likely in the comments section).



Soft piano music building to an orchestral crescendo, this is a good start. First question (which you may answer): who did the score for this game? And I already recognise the sword from Super Smash Bros. trailer.

Next time: It begins.